Honey Garlic Chicken with Chickpea Salad is a light and scrumptious answer to “What do I make for lunch?”, this simple recipe will blow your mind.
I came up with this chicken recipe while trying to make teriyaki chicken. I didn’t have much of the ingredients that teriyaki sauce calls for, so I played around with my ingredients until I came up with this recipe. Honestly, I could not have been happier. This recipe is easy, fairly healthy, absolutely delicious, and a huge hit with family, friends, and colleagues.
The distinct flavor of the honey works so well with the chicken. The sweetness is balanced by the saltiness of the soy sauce, and the garlic simply elevates the entire dish to a whole new level. As a Bengali woman, I love a lot of heat in my food, so I tend to use a generous amount of chili flakes. You can skip it, or reduce the quantity. I used chicken thighs. You can go with breasts or drumsticks.
The salad and the dressing are also super simple. I came up with it while I was on a low carb diet, and did not want to eat potatoes or rice. The salad originally called for carrots, shredded cabbage, and bell peppers, but since I was not eating carbs, I added boiled chickpeas to make it more filling. It worked out great!
Feel free to play around with the ingredients
For the chicken:
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 clove of garlic grated
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp chili flakes
For the salad:
- 1 cup cabbage – shredded
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup boiled chickpeas
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
Honey Garlic Chicken:
- Take the chicken thighs in a bowl, and add in the honey, soy sauce, garlic, chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Mix well and set aside for about an hour the marinade to soak into the chicken.
- Heat olive oil, or any other oil of your choice, to a pan over high heat.
- Place the chicken on the pan and get a good sear. Repeat for the other side.
- Lower the heat and let the chicken cook through.
- Take shredded cabbage, carrots, and bell peppers in a large bowl
- Add the ingredients for the dressing – extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, white vinegar, oregano, salt, and pepper
- Toss well to ensure that the dressing coats every bit of the salad.
Plate and enjoy!